GO UPSTAIRS AND TAKE OFF ALL YOUR CLOTHES

In the early years our family lived in one unit of a 4 unit apartment building owned by my grandmother.  The units were mostly occupied by family members, ie., my mother's sisters and their husbands and children.  One bad memory from this time is of my uncle Paul who was married to my mother's older sister.  Maybe I was 4 or 5 years old and my 2 cousins, Ricky and Jan were a bit younger.  We were playing at their apartment when something one of the cousins did made uncle Paul furiously angry.  He yelled at the boy to go upstairs and take off all his clothes.  I knew what this meant because my cousin had previously shown me the red and raised welts across his flesh from the leather belt his father used to beat him.  The cousin left and uncle Paul just stood there like a big buffoon as I proceeded to tell him how wrong and bad this punishment was and how I was not in agreement with it.  I forget the words I used, but I didn't pull any punches.  When I finished he told me to get out of his house and never come back.  So that's what I did.  At the age of four I stood up to a full grown bully of a man and told him exactly what I thought.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CATS AND CIGARETTES

YOU TRIED TO KILL ME BUT I DIDN'T DIE

FIRST MEMORIES