SISTER IN A COMA

Sister #2 arrived about three and a half years after sister #1.  This baby was my mother's mini me.  Almost looked like a clone of my mother and still does.  This child was never tortured nor beaten although the torture and beatings continued for me and my closest sister #1.

When my sister #2 was a baby of 18 months or so, she became suddenly mysteriously ill.  Viral meningitis was the diagnosis.  Kids were dying from it back then and our baby sister went into a coma in hospital for 4 days!  Of course, I learned all the details, as usual, from the uncensored household chatter of my mother and the aunts.  The biggest impact on me was when I went to school one day and a student announced to me:  "Your sister is in a coma!  She will either die or come out retarded!"

How could this be???  When I returned home from school my mother assured me that my sister would not die or come out retarded.  My mother spent the 4 days at hospital at the bedside of our baby sister and talked to her the whole time.   As the story goes according to my mother, the comatose child awakened after being prompted by my mother with a lolipop touched to her lips.  Just like magic!

This third child/daughter now became the miracle child of our family, even though, just like my mother, she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.  She was put up on a pedestal by my parents and could do no wrong.  I often wonder what the real damage was from that illness.

Both my sisters can now as adults fly into a complete rage unexpectedly at any given time. Like their mother they both talk a lot.  They both go without speaking to each other for years on end.  They each blame the other for this discord when it is really all my mother's doing.  My mother played those two against each other until she died.  She made damn sure that the two sisters hated each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CATS AND CIGARETTES

YOU TRIED TO KILL ME BUT I DIDN'T DIE

FIRST MEMORIES