GOING DANCING

In the late 50's and early 60's my parents were young, in love and carefree.  Just kidding!

Many nights as a young child I stayed awake into the wee hours of the morning listening to my parents, aunts and uncles screaming and pounding their fists on the table if the card game wasn't going their way, then singing in loud drunken voices.

ALL I WISHED FOR WAS SOME PROPER SLEEP.  I don't know how my sister slept through this, but as I said before she was a very good sleeper.  Our apartment was filled with noise and cigarette smoke during these soirees.  To this day I cannot play cards and I cannot stand even the sight of a card game.

On other nights, my parents would dress up and my mother would put on makeup, announcing that they were "going dancing".  There would be inevitable fights when my parents returned late in the night, keeping me awake once again.  My mother was so very jealous of my father.  That is what all the fights were about.  The joke in the family was that my father was so handsome and good looking that he had to carry a baseball bat to fight off all the women who went after him.  On one particularly memorable dancing/fighting night, my mother loudly cried that a woman had been dancing with my father and she had "GRABBED HIM BY THE PECKER".  Maybe I was just a small child but I somehow knew what part of the male anatomy she was referring to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CATS AND CIGARETTES

YOU TRIED TO KILL ME BUT I DIDN'T DIE

FIRST MEMORIES